Monday, March 31, 2008

I can't believe I'm releasing this information...

But, I've decided its high time. I love my macaroons, but if I share the recipe with the world, then I won't have to bake them all the time! Ravelers, if this is your first time here, welcome! And, please please please, use the expensive, Reynold's Release Foil. Its really in your best interest.
~Pia

“Pia’s Coconut Macaroons”
Okay, so they’re actually Eagle Brand’s macaroons that I have altered over the years, but anyone I make them for, seems to call them “Pia’s”. Regardless, one tip that is key to making these is that you must use Reynolds’s Release® Aluminum foil on the cookie sheets. Greasing the pan will still cause them to stick and you do not want to have bits of stuck on foil in your cookies. Trust me on this, please.
I typically only use Mexican or Bourbon vanilla. Its much more fragrant then the normal kind you get at the grocery store. (Trader Joe’s has Bourbon vanilla)

INGREDIENTS
· 1 (14 ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk)
· 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
· 1 bag mini-chocolate chips (large ones are okay too)
· 2 (7 ounce) packages flaked coconut
DIRECTIONS
1. Preheat oven 325 degrees. Line baking sheets with the Reynolds Release foil. Set aside.
2. In large bowl, combine condensed milk and vanilla. Stir in coconut and about ½ a bag of chocolate chips (use your best judgment). Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto foil-lined sheets; with spoon, slightly flatten each mound. Bake 15 to 17 minutes or until golden. Remove from baking sheets; cool on wire rack. Store loosely covered at room temperature.
( I often put them in the refrigerator, it keeps them firm)
Variation:
Chocolate: Add 4 (1-ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate, melted. Proceed as above.

4 comments:

  1. yum! I totally missed out on the macaroons.. will have to give this a shot at some point! :) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THANKS so much for the recipe!! I loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thats why we have the expensive aluminum foil.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd rather you make thgem and I eat them when you are back east.
    marjie

    ReplyDelete