Sunday, January 4, 2009

Cupcake anyone?

In addition to normal life activities, my quest for the best cupcake in DC (or anywhere, really) continues. I have simply been remiss in telling you about it. Oh well, these things happen.

Around Halloween, I hit Hello Cupcake.I picked up six for a small dinner party and in the excitement of eating, we all forgot to take a picture. From memory, I know I got a Spice one(seasonal), a 24 carrot (carrot cake), a vanilla gorilla (vanilla w/peanut butter), a lemon and I think a chocolate chocolate. Reviews were positive from all (we cut up and shared), but not overwhelmingly life changing. They have a decent, revolving selection and had a handful of tables for people to hang out. Not a bad joint at all.

Just before Christmas, the Tall Guy and I were in Georgetown and I finally made it into Georgetown Cupcake.
I am never happy to wait in a line. It's the impatient New Englander in me, but I sucked it up, and the Tall Guy obliged my desire to try these infamous cakes, even though neither of us were hungry. The shop itself was total chaos, with one tiny table, and the atmosphere was one where you wanted to choose your sweets and get the heck out as fast as possible.
We picked out four to go: Coconut, Red Velvet, Vanilla w/Chocolate frosting and for the life of us both, we can't remember the fourth one. What I can tell you, is that they were a-maz-ing. It's a really good thing that it's CakeLove(ick) and not Georgetown Cupcake that's walking distance from my house...I would be a very pudgy Pia otherwise.

At this point, there are a few more places for me to check out, but Georgetown is winning right now!

2 comments:

  1. Pudgy Pia...that's funny. Does your quest include homemade cupcakes? I have a lemon cupcake that would knock your handknit socks off, and a almond-coconut that's pretty darn good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, man. I work about two blocks from Gtown Cupcake and I have never been in. This could be dangerous.

    ReplyDelete