Sunday, July 1, 2007

And... I'm back!

Observations from the week...
Denver Colorado is a nice city and has great food and a nice knitting store, even if the Tiny Toes was a disaster (keep reading)
Columbus Ohio... super fun. I was at a wedding where I didn't know anyone but the Tall Guy and yet felt right at home. So much so that I paused for a moment to consider Midwest living. Rent for a house three times the size of my own, walking distance to a fun area, nice people, knitting stores AND that rent I just mentioned? Less then half of what I pay. Hmm. Just makes you pause for a second.
I finished a pair of baby jays in my travels. Super fast and fun project and I think I'll be making more of those as babies become contagious. Here's what they look like with my hand for size reference:


Super cute right???

Also, maybe you didn't notice. I didn't notice until the other evening when I was showing my recent acquisitions to the Tall Guy. Those two balls of Tiny Toes I got in Denver? Yup. NOT the same colour AT ALL. How annoying is that? So, I sent out a plea to the Lime and Violet message boards (I'm a big dork and you know it) about what to do with this pretty yarn that wasn't quite the same, but not quite different. Take a look...I now have some ideas, we'll see where it goes from here...
I'm currently binding off on one of those ruffly scarves. I had been staring at this Suss Yarns skein I had sitting in my decorative bowl for some time and finally cast it on a few weeks ago. This is a super easy knit, but it is SO tedious. You'll need a circular needle that's larger then the yarn calls for if you want it drape-y and then you just follow the below pattern (each number is a row) I actually got this pattern from the washingtonpost.com, but its a pretty basic pattern.
  1. C/O 75 stitches
  2. Knit
  3. Increase every stitch by knitting into the back and front of the stitch
  4. Knit
  5. repeat rows 2 and 3 a few times or until you want to poke your eyes out.
  6. Bind off.
I'm not done binding off yet, but here it is thus far:

And, I'm still not done my Jaywalkers, they're around, but I've been distracted by other projects and suddenly my brain is going a million miles an hour as I start thinking about what I will make for Christmas. Its less then 6 months away, which unless I want to be knitting on Christmas eve (I will be anyway, its a given) I need to get moving on at least planning!

The exciting news for me is that I'm in DC for the next three weeks. Not traveling, only minimal guests and hopefully some quality time on the mat, knitting, and just plain catching up on stuff. The contents of my fridge as I discovered last night while very grouchy consists of a 6 pack of beer and some slice and bake cookies. Not bad things to have, but well, it explains a lot about my life at the moment. I love being busy, but the past month has been a real drain on my system.
Off to clean my poor neglected apartment... or off to play outside, we'll see what wins.

1 comment:

  1. oh, your baby jays are adorable!!

    i can't believe those are different colors, it totally figures. i'd say: buy a couple more mismatched colorways that you love and whip up some chevron scarves (can you tell i'm obsessed?)

    ReplyDelete