Tuesday, November 10, 2009

knit worthy

I've recently had a few people ask me why I'm not selling my handknits or if I ever plan to. While I understand the natural thought towards selling what you love to do, I just can't seem to come up with any reason for me to do so. When you consider how much time you spend knitting a project and multiply it by what would be a reasonable hourly wage for yourself AND then add in the cost of yarn, it makes zero sense for me to knit for anything but love for those that are "knit worthy". Really, all that means is that you'll appreciate the knit good, wear it, or at least tell me you wear it and are not scoffing at the time I spend on my hobby.

For some of my friends, knitters and non-knitters alike, this have become somewhat of a joke (do you remember the Seinfeld episode about being worthy of a contraceptive? hehe).
Anyway.. I just gifted this shawl-ette to one of my girls who will always be knit worthy. Not only does she appreciate a good scarf, but her husband's Mom owns an alpaca farm (I'm still holding on to the yarn they brought me for just the right project), so she gets it.

Details:
Pattern: Gaenor
Yarn: Koigu, KPPM about 300 yards.
Needle: Size Six
Mods/Comments/Notes: Nothing. You start at one end and work to the halfway point and start decreasing back down. I thought that I was going to have less left over, but I somehow managed to have about 1/3 of a skein left over. Odd. Otherwise, this was a pretty simple, 12 row repeat that you knit the edging on as you went. Great commuting project and I'll be likely casting one on for myself. I'm torn for my next one if I should stick with the garter throughout, if if I'll purl back on the wrong sides... thoughts? I'm not sure it will stretch out as much if it's not in garter.

1 comment:

  1. Nice, it came out very nice. Love the colors, so pretty. Glad that I'm a "knit worthy friend" I truly appreciate my knit gifts from you.

    ReplyDelete